There are several well-reputed options for MCAT preparation materials. Among the MCAT study books are: Kaplan, Princeton Review, Examkrackers and Gold Standard. All of these vendors make impressive claims about what they have to offer, and people who have written the MCAT tend to have fairly strong opinions about the preparation materials that they used.
We recommend investigating each of these options for yourself. Kaplan and Princeton Review have integrated paid courses (with instructors) into their teaching materials, so you have the option of simply using their study materials or using their materials concurrently with one of their classes. The Examkrackers books embrace the self-directed approach and provide full-colour illustrations, taking a minimalist approach to the MCAT material. Some students combine materials from these vendors as it suits their study needs, but students have also done extremely well on the MCAT using each of the above sets of study materials exclusively.
Examkrackers MCAT Prep BooksFormat: Paperback, 1088 pages
Edition: 7 edition (March 2007)
Containing all five Examkrackers course manuals, one for each MCAT topic, this complete study package is sure to help students score their best. The set includes thirty-one 30-minute MCAT practice exams with answers and explanations and more than 1,600 MCAT questions.
Princeton MCAT Prep BooksFormat: Paperback, 1168 pages
On Sale: December 2012
The MCAT is a challenging exam that tests more than your knowledge of basic physical and biological sciences. You need to know absolutely everything, from amino acids and proteins to translational motion to verbal reasoning, and more. Cracking the MCAT, 2013-2014 Edition will help you review all the necessary content with in-depth coverage of all subjects tested on the MCAT.
- Exclusive free online access to 4 full-length practice tests with comprehensive answers and explanations
- A full-color, 16-page tear-out reference guide with all the most important formulas, diagrams, information, concepts, and charts for each section of the MCAT
- Complete coverage of all the topics on the MCAT, including physics, general chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and verbal reasoning
- Practice passages, questions, and detailed explanation with step-by-step solutions at the end of every chapter for maximum practice and preparation
- A bonus chapter containing helpful advice on effective study habits, applying to medical school, and top trends in health care
- A comprehensive index
Kaplan MCAT Prep BooksFormat: Paperback, 2016 pages
On Sale: January 2013
Spend less, get more! Our five-in-one boxed set features more content review and questions than any other study package! More people get into medical school with a Kaplan MCAT course than all major courses combined. Now the same results are available with Kaplan MCAT Complete Subject Review. This box is the only source necessary for the comprehensive review of all the Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Verbal Reasoning & Essay Writing topics covered on the exam. MCAT Complete Subject Review features all-new subject review, more questions than any other competitor, and the highest-yield questions available. The commentaries and the instructions come directly from Kaplan experts in the MCAT field and include their targeted focus on the most-tested concepts plus more test-like questions than any other guide. These prep books simulate, better than anything else on the market, the experience of a one-on-one session with our top-rated instructors. The five-book MCAT set emulates Kaplan's tried and true classroom experience. With its easy to follow format and helpful teacher commentaries and advice, students can be completely prepared for test day success.
- Over 1,500 practice questions
- Full-color illustrations, charts, graphs, and diagrams
- All new full-color perforated study guide
Gold Standard MCAT Prep BooksFormat: Hardcore, 1000 pages
The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard is THE complete and fully updated review for the new Medical College Admissions Computer Based Test (MCAT CBT). The 16th Edition of The Gold Standard continues to be one of the best selling manuals, standing as the flagship for the industry. The Gold Standard includes a comprehensive and easy to understand review of the MCAT, 3 pull-out full-length practice exams with explanations and available as MCAT CBTs online for free, and hundreds of pages in full color!
- All science sections covered in detail
- Review for Verbal Reasoning
- "Five minute, Five step" approach to the Writing Sample
- Conversion tables for your MCAT scores
- Over 100 diagrams and illustrations
- "The Recipe for MCAT success": A clear plan to excel at the new MCAT!
- Free online access to ten hours of teaching videos!